COVID-19 is a rapidly evolving situation. When working in different community settings, follow CDC guidance to help prevent the spread of COVID-19. Visit www.cdc.gov/coronavirus for the latest public health information.
Develop Evidence-Based Policies
The Community Guide provides information on public health interventions, organizational policies, and local, state, and national decisions that have been proven to work.
The Community Guide helps decision makers:
- Identify which policies promote public health and at what cost
- Draft evidence-based policies and legislation
- Justify funding decisions and proposals
- Support policies and legislation that promote health and safety
Following are just a few of the CPSTF findings for public health policies.
- Tobacco Use and Secondhand Smoke Exposure: Smoke-Free Policies
- Motor Vehicle Injury – Child Safety Seats: Laws Mandating Use
- Vaccination Programs: Requirements for Child Care, School, and College Attendance
- Dental Caries (Cavities): Community Water Fluoridation
Review the following resources to learn more about ways The Community Guide can help you improve health and safety in your community.
- GuideCompass is an interactive tool that presents you with resources and tools to help you achieve your goals
- The Community Guide Comparison Tool lets you compare two reviews side by side based on criteria you select
- Community Guide in Action stories feature examples of organizations, businesses, and communities that have used The Community Guide to inform policy decisions
- Translating evidence into policy: lessons learned from the case of lowering the legal blood alcohol limit for drivers. Mercer SL, Sleet DA, Elder RA, Cole KH, RA Shults, Nichols JL. Annals of Epidemiology 2010;20(6):412-20.