Welcome to The Community Guide! Let us know what you think of the website by completing this quick survey.
Carole Tracy Orleans, PhD
Appointed to the Task Force: 2009
C. Tracy Orleans, PhD
As the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation's (RWJF's) senior scientist, Dr. Orleans has led or co-led the foundation's public policy and health care system grant-making in the areas of health behavior change, tobacco control, chronic disease management and prevention, physical activity promotion and childhood obesity prevention for the past 20 years. Since 2006, she has focused mainly on discovering, evaluating, and applying effective policy and environmental strategies for reversing the rise in childhood obesity and reducing the disparities in its prevalence and health tolls.
In 2013, Dr. Orleans joined the team at RWJF and RAND working to develop models, metrics and research to translate the new Foundation's Culture of Health mission into an action framework. She is now working to develop research programming that uses the framework to build partnerships and evidence needed to create a culture of health and health equity. This work increasingly draws on lessons learned outside U.S. borders.
Dr. Orleans is a member of RWJF's new Research Evaluation and Learning Unit, Achieving Health Equity Team, and Global Leaning Team. She has authored or co-authored more than 250 publications, served on numerous journal editorial boards, national scientific panels and advisory groups (e.g., Institute of Medicine, U.S. Preventive Services Task Force, National Commission on Prevention Priorities, National Collaborative on Childhood Obesity Research), and was the associate policy editor for the American Journal of Preventive Medicine.
Dr. Orleans has received numerous national awards for her work in the fields of behavioral medicine, tobacco control, and childhood obesity prevention. She was especially honored to receive CDC's 2012 Weight of the Nation "Pioneering Innovation Award" for applied obesity research along with Drs. Jim Sallis and Mary Story.
Service on International/National research, practice or policy boards or committees
- Member, U.S. Preventive Services Task Force
- Member, Cessation Subcommittee, Surgeon General's Inter-Agency Committee on Smoking and Health
- Member, Institute of Medicine Committee: Identifying Priority Areas for Healthcare Quality Improvement
- Member, National Commission on Prevention Priorities
- Member, Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) Tobacco Control Clinical Practice Guideline Panel
- Member, Partnership for Prevention Expert Panel on Worksite Wellness and Chronic Disease Management
- Member, National Cancer Institute Advisory Committees: Working Well Study; Tobacco Research Implementation Group; Behavioral Science Research Division; NCI-funded Cancer Control Research Network
- Founding Member/Co-Chair, National Partnership to Help Pregnant Smokers Quit
- Founding Member, National Tobacco Cessation Collaborative; Youth Tobacco Cessation Collaborative; National Tobacco Funders Forum; National Collaborative on Childhood Obesity Prevention Research
National research or practice awards
- CDC Weight of the Nation "Pioneering Innovation Award" for Applied Obesity Research
- Department of Health and Human Services Secretary's Inaugural Innovation Award
- American Psychological Association, Meritorious Research Service Commendation
- Society of Behavioral Medicine, Distinguished Research Award
- Society for Research on Nicotine and Tobacco, John Slade Award for Tobacco Control Policy Research and Leadership
- Society of Behavioral Medicine, Distinguished Service Award
- Robert Wood Johnson Foundation, Distinguished Fellow
- American Association of Clinical Oncology, Joseph Cullen Tobacco Control Research Award
- Elected Fellow: Society of Behavioral Medicine, American Psychological Association, Academy of Behavioral Medicine Research