Welcome to The Community Guide! Let us know what you think of the website by completing this quick survey.
Shiriki Kumanyika, PhD, MPH
Appointed to the CPSTF: 2013
Shiriki K. Kumanyika PhD, MPH is research professor in the Department of Community Health & Prevention at the Drexel University Dornsife School of Public Health. She is also professor emerita of epidemiology at the University of Pennsylvania Perelman School of Medicine. The main themes in her research concern prevention and control of obesity and other diet-related risk factors and chronic diseases, with a particular focus on reducing the prevalence and health burdens of obesity in black communities.
Dr. Kumanyika is founder and chair of the African American Collaborative Obesity Research Network (AACORN), a national network of academic scholars and community research partners who generate and translate research on nutrition, physical activity, and weight issues in African American children and adults. AACORN now has its national office at the Dornsife School. Dr. Kumanyika is a past president of the American Public Health Association and has served in numerous advisory roles related to public health research and policy in the U.S. and abroad.
Dr. Kumanyika has authored or co-authored more than 300 scientific articles, reports, commentaries and book chapters. She is a member of the National Academy of Medicine and has been involved in numerous national and international public health-related advisory and policy activities. She is a member of the World Health Organization Nutrition Guidance Expert Advisory Group (NUGAG) Subgroup on Diet and Health and the Lancet Commission on Obesity, and is co-chair of the Policy and Prevention Section of the World Obesity Federation.
Dr. Kumanyika received a doctor of philosophy degree from Cornell University, a master of public health degree from Johns Hopkins University, and a master of science in social work from Columbia University.
Prior high-level positions/service on national advisory boards
- DHHS/USDA US Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee (1994-1995 and 1998-2000)
- DHHS/USDA National Nutrition Monitoring Advisory Committee (1991-1999; Chair, 1993-1999)
- DHHS Commission on Dietary Supplement Labels (1995-1997)
- Advisory Council, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, NIH (1996-2000)
- Clinical Obesity Research Panel (originally the National Task Force on the Prevention and Treatment of Obesity), National Institute for Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases, NIH, 2001-2009
- DHHS Secretary's Advisory Committee on Health Promotion Objectives for 2020 (Vice-Chair, 2008-2011)
Service on research review committees
- NIH Behavioral Medicine Study Section (1984-88)
- NIH Epidemiology and Disease Control Study Section (subcommittee 2) (1990-94)
- American Institute for Cancer Research Review Panel I (1987-1994)
- Numerous NIH ad hoc study sections
National research or practice awards
- Bolton L. Corson Medal for Nutrition Research, The Franklin Institute (1997)
- Excellence in Dietary Guidance Award, Food and Nutrition Section, American Public Health Association (1998)
- Dr. Herbert W. Nickens Epidemiology Award, Association of Black Cardiologists, Inc. (2005)
- Population Research Prize, American Heart Association (2005)
- Robert F. Allen Symbol of H.O.P.E. Award, American Journal of Health Promotion (2006)
- Red Dress Award, Women's Day Magazine (2007)
- Wade Hampton Frost Award Lectureship, Epidemiology Section, American Public Health Association (2011)
- Honorary Doctorate of Science from the State University of New York, Downstate Medical Center
- 2015 Inaugural recipient of The Obesity Society Diversity Leadership Award, which was established as the Shiriki Kumanyika Diversity Leadership Award
- 2015 Recognized by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Office of Minority Health and Health Equity as a "Health Equity Champion"
Service on Evidence Reviews
- Expert Panel on the Identification, Evaluation, and Treatment of Overweight and Obesity in Adults. Clinical Guidelines on the Identification, Evaluation, and Treatment of Obesity in Adults. The Evidence Report. NIH, NHLBI (1996-1998)
- Agency for Health Care Policy and Research/National Cancer Institute Evidence review of the Efficacy of Behavioral Dietary Interventions to Reduce Cancer Risk, Research Triangle Institute, Research Triangle Park, NC (Member, Technical Expert Advisory Group 1999-2000)
- World Cancer Research Fund/American Institute for Cancer Research Expert Panel on Diet, Nutrition, and Cancer Prevention (2002-2009)
- World Health Organization Nutrition Guidelines Expert Advisory Group (NUGAG) Subgroup on Diet and Health (2010-present)
Recent Selected Publications
- Powell LM, Kumanyika SK, Isgor Z, Rimkus L, Zenk SN, Chaloupka FJ. Price promotions for food and beverage products in a nationwide sample of food stores. Prev Med 2016;86:106-13.
- Kumanyika SK. Health Equity Is the Issue We Have Been Waiting for. J Public Health Manag Pract 2016;22 Suppl 1:S8-10.
- Brennan VM, Kumanyika SK, Zambrana, RE. (Eds). Obesity interventions in underserved US communities: Evidence and directions. Baltimore, MD: Johns Hopkins University Press. 2014
- Kumanyika SK, Swank M, Stachecki J, Whitt-Glover MC, Brennan LK. Examining the evidence for policy and environmental strategies to prevent childhood obesity in black communities: new directions and next steps. Obes Rev 2014;15 Suppl 4:177-203
- Barr-Anderson DJ, Adams-Wynn AW, DiSantis KI, Kumanyika S. Family-focused physical activity, diet, and obesity interventions in African American girls: a systematic review. Obes Rev 2013;14(1):29-51.
- Kumanyika SK, Parker L, Sim LJ eds. Bridging the Evidence Gap in Obesity Prevention. A Framework to Inform Decision Making. Committee on an Evidence Framework for Obesity Prevention Decision Making. Institute of Medicine. Washington, DC: National Academies Press, 2010