Welcome to The Community Guide! Let us know what you think of the website by completing this quick survey.
Karen Glanz, PhD, MPH
Appointed to the Task Force: 2006
Karen Glanz, PhD, MPH is currently George A. Weiss University Professor at the Perelman School of Medicine and the School of Nursing, and director of the UPenn Prevention Research Center and the Center for Health Behavior Research at the University of Pennsylvania. Dr. Glanz is senior editor of Health Behavior: Theory, Research, and Practice (Jossey-Bass Inc./Wiley, 1990, 1996, 2002, 2008, 2015), a widely used text now in its fifth edition.
Dr. Glanz was previously at Emory University (2004-2009), the University of Hawaii (1993-2004), and Temple University (1979-1993). She was formerly Georgia Cancer Coalition Distinguished Research Scholar and the Director of the Emory Prevention Research Center while she was Charles Howard Candler Professor of Behavioral Sciences and Health Education at Emory University. Dr. Glanz's research foci include cancer prevention and control; obesity, nutrition, the built environment; chronic disease prevention and control, and health communication technologies. Her research has addressed chronic disease management and patient adherence. Dr. Glanz scholarly contributions consist of more than 440 journal articles and book chapters.
Dr. Glanz received her MPH (1977) and PhD (1979) degrees in health behavior and health education from the University of Michigan.
Service on international/national research, practice or policy boards or committees
- Committee on Public Health Approaches to Reduce Vision Impairment and Promote Eye Health, Institute of Medicine
- International Advisory Board of the Theories and Techniques of Behaviour Change Project, University College London
- Committee on Assessment of Agent-Based Models to Inform Tobacco Product Regulation
- Senior Editor for Health Psychology, Social Science and Medicine
- Chair, Evaluation Committee, Institute for Communication and Health at the University of Lugano, Switzerland
- Nutrition Advisory Board, Au Bon Pain restaurants
National research or practice awards
- Elected Member, National Academy of Medicine (formerly called the Institute of Medicine)
- Highly Cited Author, ISIhighlycited.com
- Fellow, Society for Behavioral Medicine
- Elizabeth Fries Health Education Award, from the Fries Foundation