COVID-19 is a rapidly evolving situation. When working in different community settings, follow CDC guidance to help prevent the spread of COVID-19. Visit www.cdc.gov/coronavirus for the latest public health information.
Webinar: Engaging Community Health Workers to Prevent and Manage Disease
Slides from the September 20, 2017 webinar [PDF - 1.95 MB] are available to download.
The Community Preventive Services Task Force (CPSTF) recommends interventions that engage community health workers to prevent cardiovascular disease or to prevent and control diabetes. In addition to improving health and saving money, these interventions can be used to improve health and enhance health equity.
During this presentation, scientists from CDC’s Community Guide branch presented information about the following:
- CPSTF recommendations for interventions that engage community health workers to prevent cardiovascular disease, prevent diabetes, or manage diabetes
- Effectiveness and economic evidence from systematic reviews used to inform the CPSTF findings
Betsy Rodríguez, public health advisor, Health Education and Promotion Team and deputy director of CDC’s National Diabetes Education Program discussed:
- How community health workers can be used to promote health and enhance health equity
- CDC funding that has facilitated work between states and community health workers for prevention and management of chronic conditions including diabetes, heart disease, stroke, and obesity
- Understand how Community Preventive Services Task Force recommendations for interventions engaging community health workers can be used to improve health outcomes and prevent disease
- Discuss challenges and successes associated with engaging community health workers for prevention
- Describe the evidence-base for CPSTF recommendations
- Community Guide: Community Health Workers web page – learn more about relevant CPSTF recommendations and access additional tools and resources
- State Community Health Worker Models
- E- Learning training series: Promoting Policy and Systems Change to Expand Employment of Community Health Workers (CHWs)
- Association of State and Territorial Health Officials ASTHO/ Health Systems Transformation
- States Implementing Community Health Worker Strategies
- State Public Health Actions to Prevent and Control Diabetes, Heart Disease, Obesity and Associated Risk Factors and Promote School Health (Information about DP13-1305 Funding)
- State and Local Public Health Actions to Prevent Obesity, Diabetes, and Heart Disease and Stroke (Information about DP14-1422PPHF14)
- CHWs and rural health
- Community Health Worker (CHW) Toolkit
- Community Health Worker Resources
- Verughese Jacob, PhD, MPH
Senior Service Fellow
- Jeff Reynolds, MPH
- Ka Zang Xiong, MPH
CDC’s National Diabetes Education Program
More Webinars About
The Community Guide
Access a list of upcoming or previously recorded webinars on a range of topics including cancer prevention, excessive alcohol consumption, physical activity, and tobacco use.