Emergency Preparedness and Response
Protecting the public from health threats involves both public health and medical preparedness. Both are essential for a population's health security and, hence, to the overall preparedness of the nation.
- Public health preparedness is the ability of the public health system, community, and individuals to prevent, protect against, quickly respond to, and recover from health emergencies, particularly those in which scale, timing or unpredictability threatens to overwhelm routine capabilities.
- Medical preparedness is the ability of the health care system to prevent, protect against, quickly respond to, and recover from health emergencies, particularly those whose scale, timing, or unpredictability threatens to overwhelm routine capabilities.
During an emergency, the public health system supports the health care system by helping to minimize illness and injuries when emergencies unfold, thus reducing the burden on the health care system.
Task Force Recommendations and Findings
This table lists an intervention reviewed by the Community Guide, with a summary of the Task Force finding (definitions of findings). Click on an underlined intervention title for a summary of the review.
|Intervention||Task Force Finding|
|School Dismissals to Reduce Transmission of Pandemic Influenza||Recommended
For More Information
The findings and conclusions on this page are those of the Community Preventive Services Task Force and do not necessarily represent those of CDC. Task Force evidence-based recommendations are not mandates for compliance or spending. Instead, they provide information and options for decision makers and stakeholders to consider when determining which programs, services, and policies best meet the needs, preferences, available resources, and constraints of their constituents.
The content of publications of the Guide to Community Preventive Services is in the public domain. Citation as to source, however, is appreciated. Sample citation: Guide to Community Preventive Services. Emergency preparedness and response. www.thecommunityguide.org/emergencypreparedness/index.html. Last updated: MM/DD/YYYY.
- Page last reviewed: February 4, 2016
- Page last updated: October 25, 2013
- Content source: The Guide to Community Preventive Services