Lawrence W. Green, DrPH, DSc (Hon.)Appointed to Task Force: 2007
Lawrence W. Green, DrPH, DSc (Hon.) is professor of epidemiology and biostatistics in the School of Medicine and affiliate faculty with the Comprehensive Cancer Center, the Center for Tobacco Control Research and Education, and the Clinical Translational Research Institute at the University of California at San Francisco.
Dr. Green joined CDC in 1999 as Distinguished Fellow-Visiting Scientist to study what accounted for the success of tobacco control in the last third of the 20th century, and how we might take those lessons to other areas of public health. Dr. Green served as director of CDC's World Health Organization Collaborating Center on Global Tobacco Control and as acting director of the Office on Smoking and Health. He then served as the director of CDC's Office of Science and Extramural Research and as associate director for Prevention Research and Academic Partnerships in the Public Health Practice Program Office. Dr. Green was also visiting professor in the Department of Behavioral Sciences and Health Education at Emory University's Rollins School of Public Health and later Health and Society visiting professor at the University of Maryland and visiting professor at the UC School of Public Health, Berkeley.
For most of the 1990s, Dr. Green was the director of the Institute of Health Promotion Research and professor and head of the Division of Preventive Medicine and Health Promotion, Department of Health Care and Epidemiology, at the University of British Columbia in Canada. Dr. Green has broad experience in health education, prevention, population health, and community interventions for health promotion and risk reduction. He served as the first director of the U.S. Office of Health Information and Health Promotion in the Office of the Assistant Secretary for Health under the Carter Administration, and as vice president of the Kaiser Family Foundation, and on the public health faculties at Berkeley, Johns Hopkins, Harvard, Texas and Emory and is a past president and Distinguished Fellow of the Society for Public Health Education.
Dr. Green currently serves on the editorial boards of the American Journal of Preventive Medicine and 12 other journals in his field, and as associate editor of the Annual Review of Public Health. Dr. Green's textbooks have been widely adopted. Community and Population Health with Judith Ottoson is in its 8th edition; Health Program Planning: An Educational and Ecological Approach with Marshall Kreuter is in its 4th edition. The latter has been the repository for description of his Precede-Proceed model and the more than 1,000 published applications of this social-environmental model in case studies, research, and other textbooks (see www.lgreen.net).
Dr. Green obtained his BS, MPH and DrPH degrees from the University of California at Berkeley.
Service on International/National research, practice or policy boards or committees
- Editorial Board of the American Journal of Preventive Medicine
- Associate Editor of the Annual Review of Public Health
- Past President, Distinguished Fellow of the Society of Public Health Education
- Chair of two committees of the National Academies (IOM and National Research Council), and served on three other IOM committees.
- National Prevention Research Initiative, Medical Research Council of the U.K., London, 2008- 2011;
- Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF) two National Advisory Committees: on Practice-Based Research Network grants program; and on the RWJF Clinical Scholars Program, 2004-2011
- Board of Scientific Counselors, National Human Genomic Research Institute, 2004-2008
- Chair: peer review panels for research grant reviews of CDC, 2006,'08;
- Co-chair, CDC-sponsored Expert Panel to recommend national strategy for primary prevention of Type 2 diabetes, 2005-06 (see J Fam Prac 2012).
- Co-Chair, Association of Schools of Public Health and Legacy Foundation, STEP-UP Conferences in St. Louis, Chicago, and Nashville to review and strengthen initiatives on tobacco control teaching and research in schools of public health.
- Board of Directors, Pacific Institute for Research and Evaluation, 2007-present
- Board of Directors, North American Quitline Consortium, 2011-present
- Board of Directors, Community-Campus Partnerships for Health, 2006-2008.
- Chair, National Advisory Committee, Salud America! for research on obesity control in Latino populations for Robert Wood Johnson grant program, 2009-present
- Chair, National Advisory Board, University of Arkansas Medical University (NIH) Center of Excellence on Minority Health, 2010-2013.
- Founding board of directors of Health Promotion Advocates, 2008-2011, promoting passage of several laws in the Affordable Care Act and workplace health promotion.
- Appointed by Clinton Administration as member of U.S. delegation to the Framework Convention for Tobacco Control, and the Federal Interagency Working Group on FCTC Negotiating Guidance, representing CDC and the Department of Health and Human Services. Resigned May 2001.
- Elected to Institute of Medicine, National Academy of Science, 2009
- Honorary Doctor of Science Degree, University of Waterloo, 2006
- Award of Excellence 2004 & Distinguished Career Award 1974, American Public Health Association
- First Research Laureate Medal, American Academy of Health Behavior, 2000
- Honorario Presidente, Fundación para Educación de Salud, Madrid, Spain, from July 19, 2004.
Recent publications and research
- Green LW, Travis JW, McAllister RG, Peterson KW, Vardanyan AN, Craig A. Male circumcision and HIV prevention: Insufficient evidence and neglected external validity. Am J Prev Med. Nov 2010;39(5):479-82.
- Ramirez AG, Chalela P, Gallion K, Green LW, Ottoson JM. Salud America!: Developing a national Latino childhood obesity research agenda. Health Educ & Behav. 38(2):251-260, 2011. [Medline abstract]
- Jagosh J, Macaulay A, Greenhalgh T, Cargo M, Herbert C, Green LW, et al. Assessing the benefits of participatory research: A rationale for a realist review. Global Health Promotion, June 2011;18(2):45 -48. DOI 10.1177/1757975910383936
- Jagosh JJ, Pluye P, Macaulay AC, Salsberg J, Henderson J, Sirett E, Bush PL, Seller R, Wong G, Greenhalgh T, Cargo M, Herbert CP, Seifer SD, Green LW. Assessing the outcomes of participatory research: Protocol for identifying, selecting, appraising and synthesizing the literature for realist review. Implementation Science. 6(1):24;2011. [Abstract].
- Katz DL, Murimi M, Gonzalez A, Nijike V, Green LW. From clinical trial to community adoption: The Multi-site Translational Community Trial (mTCT). Am J Public Health. Published online ahead of print, June 2011. doi:10.2105/AJPH.2010.300104, 2011.
- Livingood W, Allegrante, JP,PhD, Airhihenbuwa CO, Clark NO, Windsor R, Zimmerman MA, Green LW. Applied social and behavioral science to address complex health problems Am J Prev Med 2011;41(5):525–31.
- Yano EM, Green LW, Glanz K, Ayanian JZ, Mittman BS, Chollette V, Rubenstein LV. Implementation and spread of multi-level interventions in practice: Implications for the cancer care continuum. JNCI Monographs. 2012;2012(44):86-99.
- Gonzalez M, Green LW, Glantz SA. Why Global Regulation Now? How Tobacco Companies Understood the Initiation of the FCTC. Tobacco Control. June 8, 2011 [epub ahead of print. PMID 21636611.
- Livingood W, Allegrante, JP,PhD, Airhihenbuwa CO, Clark NO, Windsor R, Zimmerman MA, Green LW. Applied social and behavioral science to address complex health problems. Am J Prev Med 2011;41(5):525–531
- Green LW, Fielding J. The Healthy People initiative: Its genesis and its sustainability Ann Rev Public Health. 32:pp. 2011. Full text online : http://arjournals.annualreviews.org/eprint/Ap6W5JIJVgzhbCrfrP8E/full/10.1146/annurev-publhealth-031210-101148
- Green LW, Allegrante JP. Healthy People 1980-2020: Raising the ante decennially or just the name from public health education to health promotion to social determinants? Health Educ & Behav Dec 2011;38:558-62.
- Page last reviewed: June 13, 2013
- Page last updated: June 13, 2013
- Content source: The Guide to Community Preventive Services